First to Third

A run on sports...

Friday, September 14, 2007

A Little Too Fanatical?


You might say that. I think a better way to say it is: uncalled for, or maybe just plain stupid. But the best way to put it is: no place in this world for that type of action.

What I am talking about is the incident that took place at Henry Hudson's Pub on June 17 between a Oklahoma Sooners fan and Texas Longhorns fan.

So a Sooners fan grabbed a Longhorns fan in the crotch causing a wound that required 60 stitches, why? Because, "you do not wear a Longhorns shirt in OU country"?

Wow. Do the Sooners really mean that much to you? I know a lot of us live and die by sports, but do we really need to destroy mankind because of a football team?
The players and coaches appreciate the support of the team, but I know they would not condone those types of actions.

I like to heckle. I normally shout something funny at the opposing players to make the other fans laugh. But I watch myself. I admit, in the past I was kind of reckless. A cuss word would slip out of my mouth here and there, and that is not welcome in the stands.

I even mess with the opposing fans. I will boo them and tell them to go back to where their team is from. Or, if they are sitting several rows in front of me, I will make fun of them, but when they walk to the bathroom/food stands I will smile and pat them on the back. It is all in good fun.

It is sad to see stories like this because it takes the fun out of competition.
When I get a little crazy for my teams I remind myself of A Bronx Tale with Robert DeNiro and Chazz Palminteri. In the movie Palminteri's character tells the young boy that the Yankees do not care about his problems, so why care about them?

Later in the movie, the boy's father (DeNiro) has this line:

Lorenzo: The other night he threw away his baseball cards because he said Mickey Mantle wouldn't pay our rent.

Sooner fan, are the Sooners going to pay your lawyer fees and bail you out of jail?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home