First to Third

A run on sports...

Monday, August 18, 2008

A Bolt Is Fast


Usain Bolt is crazy fast. If you didn't catch the Men's 100M event from Beijing I suggest you try to find it online or at YouTube because the dude is amazing. (I would post a video from YouTube, but it will no doubt be down within a couple of hours. Puto NBC.) He made his competition look so bad that he let up with 20 meters to go to celebrate his victory.

And what was with the second and third place runners were celebrating just as much as Bolt did? Actually, they probably celebrated more.

Anyway, an interesting rumor I can across today was posed by Darren Rovell at CNBC stating Bolt may have let up at the end of the race to make money later.
You see, the reason Usain Bolt didn't push through and finish in 9.60 seconds instead of 9.69 is -- as the rumor goes -- because he's smart. He didn't want to kill his gravy train.

So, the conspiracy theory goes, that Bolt knew before the race that he had to win the race and take the gold, but not push it too much, otherwise he'd kill his opportunity at future bonuses.

"I wasn't worried about the world record," Bolt said after the race. "I didn't come here to run a world record. I came here to win."

I couldn't find any number for his agent Norman Peart, so I couldn't follow up there, but I do know that Bolt was presented with a $1.8 million check by his sponsor Digicel when he broke the record in May.

Interesting take on the celebration ... I am buying into that.

The 21-year-old will be competing Tuesday (late Monday night/early Tuesday morning US time) in the 200M semifinal. Lets see if he can best Michael Johnson's World Record time of 19.32 in the event.

USA, USA, USA!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home