First to Third

A run on sports...

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Soccer Moms Are The Realness


As a kid I was looked at as the "golden foot" to my parents. The soccer kid who could make it to the World Cup. Nothing against my parents, because I had the same dream.

I wanted to be in the World Cup as well, but there is something about soccer that brings out the best of mothers.

You know what I am talking about. The mothers that yell at the top of their lungs for their child to prevail on the pitch, no matter the age.

My mother was guilty of it, and she knew it bothered me. That is the way it is around the world though. Things change with time, except the soccer mom that wants her child to dominate the field.

Do not get me wrong, I love my mother will all my heart. I understand it though, we all want to see our own win on the field. Shoot, I will probably be doing the same thing when I have children.

But if you smell what I am cooking then you know what a child goes through. The yelling, accompanied by the shaking of our own collective heads. You know what is going through your head, "Mom! Shut up, just let us play."

That is the passion. I could only imagine being a parent of a child that is on a professional sports team. Your heart beating every game that your child plays.

Let me get to my point. A soccer mom assaulted her daughter's coach after being left off an email list with the directions to the game.

That is the passion I am talking about. God bless the parents with passion.

It may make you shake your head one year, but all it shows is that they love you.

My mother changed so many lives through soccer. She took in kids with no light at the end of the tunnel and showed them there is always a brighter side of life. Those kids became adults and thanked her for saving their lives... keeping them from the wrong path in the fork in the road. This happens all over the world, because the same can be said about my Uncle Andy. Actually the list never ends, throw my Aunt Sandy on that list as well.

Sports changes lives more than we think.

I love you Mom, and will be visiting you in Texas soon.

Raise your glasses for the "soccer mom." But no assaults!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home