First to Third

A run on sports...

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

World Series 2007


The 2007 Fall Classic is set to begin tomorrow evening at Fenway Park in Boston, with the Red Sox facing the Colorado Rockies.

So here it is. Wally the Green Monster v. Dinger. Soxtober v. Rocktober. AL. v. NL.
Personally I think the "Rocktober" slogan has a much better ring to it. Why does Boston have to copy?

As you may know by now, I am not a big fan of anything out of Boston. They have turned into monsters, not their players, but their fans (okay, some of their players).

Boston fans have essentially turned into what they hate, Yankees fans. But they have surpassed the Yankees fans in being more obnoxious, rude, and arrogant. Five years ago? I would have taken Red Sox fans over Yankees fans any day of the week.

Today, I would take Yankees and Dodgers fans in the same room with no way out, over three Red Sox fans in an empty stadium.

Oh yes, the World Series (I guess you can tell by now who I am rooting for).

The Rockies are coming off an eight-day layoff after their sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks, while the Red Sox completed their series comeback versus the Cleveland Chokers Indians. Like I said in the past, I am not a fan of the long days off between games. I feel sorry for the Rockies.

The following are the pitching matchups for the first few games:

Josh Beckett v. Jeff Francis
Curt Schilling v. Ubaldo Jimenez
Daisuke Matsuzaka v. Josh Fogg
Josh Beckett v. Aaron Cook

The Red Sox have to love their chances with Beckett potentially starting three games in a seven game series (due to the fact that Tim Wakefield is not on the World Series roster). But I like the game 4 pitcher of Cook pitching against Beckett, saving Francis for game 5.

The sports nation outside of Colorado is giving the Rockies no chance at winning this series, and based on what we saw in last year's World Series I do not blame them. Let me say this though, this Rockies team is not the same as the Detroit Tigers of yesteryear that lost to the St. Louis Cardinals after their long layoff.

The Tigers were still the favorites going into the series even though they had a seven-day layoff. The Rockies would still be the underdogs even if they had won their NLCS matchup in seven games. It is always a dangerous thing to place a chip on the shoulder of a talented team.

These Rockies fought their way into the playoffs and they will be the first to tell you that they are not done.

Do not believe the hype, this series is going six or seven games.

My breakdowns:

Batting lineup
Boston has the two big bats of Ortiz and Ramirez, with Lowell capable of cleaning it up. And Colorado has five guys that hit 90+ RBIs during the season. The patience of the Red Sox gives them the edge. Red Sox.

Starting pitching
Boston has a veteran, playoff battled pitcher in Schilling, and a young playoff stud on a tear in Beckett. Colorado has a nifty lefthander in Francis and a hard-throwing young cat in Jimenez. It will be interesting to see how Aaron Cook pitches in his first postseason appearance this year. Based on the way Beckett is dealing I have to go with Boston. Red Sox

Bullpen
I know what you are thinking, Boston by far. But hold on Voltaire. The Rockies made their miraculous run into, and through the playoffs thanks to its bullpen play over the last month. As hot as they are, there is no denying their effectiveness. Rockies.

Intangibles
Yes, the Rockies are going in with eight days off, but like I said, they have a different makeup. Every night they have a new hero emerge during their current run. And that is a real intangible. Boston mystique, blah, blah. Rockies.

Mascots
On one hand you have a purple dinosaur representing the Rockies, and on the other you have a "Green Monster" representing a green monster wall. Although Dinger the dinosaur has a girlie purple color, I say he can beat up the Green Monster of Boston. Plus, Wally the Green Monster would not come down to my seats to face off against me when he was in Anaheim for game 3 of the ALDS. I called him down and he walked away. Coward. Rockies

With my heart I am picking the Rockies in seven.
With my head I am picking the Red Sox in six.

Normally I do not want the NL team to win it all unless there is a certain AL team in the World Series. Yes, you guessed it, that team is the Red Sox.

Go Rockies!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home