First to Third

A run on sports...

Monday, August 18, 2008

Jeff Kent Just Got A Whole Lot Cooler


Someone had to finally say it.

First of all, I am all gung-ho about the history of the sports and its athletes. I especially love sports announcers I grew up listening to and who paid their lives to the games that they loved like Bob Miller, Chick Hearn, and Southern California's voice of baseball, Vin Scully.

I grew up following the Angels and Dodgers but my allegiance was always with the Angels that played so close to my hood. And I always admired Scully's knowledge of the game and his impeccable research of the players, in both leagues. But recently I have thought the dude goes off on tangents that put me to sleep. If I ever need to get some rest I tune into a Dodgers game and let Scully send me on the nap train.

Jeff Kent agrees. In an interview with the LA Times' TJ Simers, Kent said Scully: "talks too much" after the golden voice said that Kent is benefitting by hitting in front of Manny Ramirez.
"I've been here four years and I have never seen Vin Scully down here in the clubhouse," Kent said. "How does Vin Scully know me? How does Vin Scully know Derek Lowe?"

"Everyone says I'm hitting now because some guy says so on TV?" he says, and first time someone has ever called Scully "some guy."

That'a'way Kent. I know it is hard in LA after all the attention went towards Manny, but now you have brought some eyes and ears your way after those comments.

You may not see Scully in the clubhouse, but I also know that we won't see you in the Dodgers outfield seats after those comments. However, Angels fans think you're funny.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home