First to Third

A run on sports...

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Spark That Excitement


Eight games were on deck last night in the NBA, and I am actually really excited about this season.

I had lost my excitement for the league the last couple of years due to a combination of the following: players acting like thugs, whining about money, demanding trades, players not having the fundamentals, and the death of the Lakers dynasty.

But for some reason I am looking forward to the long season of basketball. The past two days I have been cursing at NBATV for not broadcasting games, thus allowing me to see only four games in the past two days, what the hell!

I cannot put my finger on what has ignited that excitement fire for me. It cannot be the referee scandal. It cannot be fantasy basketball, because I play them every year. It cannot be the Lakers, because they are doomed to be a mediocre team for the rest of this decade. What is it then?

As much as I hate to say it, the players whining has actually sparked my interest. The drama.
Andrei Kirilenko whined. Shawn Marion whined. Kevin Garnett got what he wanted. Kobe Bryant whined, then he didn't, then he did. Jerry Buss flashed his muscle.

The drama coupled with a some good signings in the East has made the league better. In years past I would not have given any team in the East a shot to beat a Western conference team, but this year there are a couple that can. Boston, Detroit, Chicago, New Jersey, and Orlando (sleeper) are all teams to watch.

The draft class was the best in recent years and will be fun to keep an eye out on each of the young players.

One in particular will have my eye the whole year, former UCLA Bruin Arron Afflalo who was drafted by the Detroit Pistons. A fellow UCLA basketball fan claimed that Afflalo would not make an impact in the NBA. I argued that his statement was absurd, reminding him that he has an A+ defensive game, a great shot, and can slash to the basket.

Will I be right? Early indications are yes. Afflalo will start for the Detroit Pistons in their opener against the Miami Heat in place of Richard Hamilton. Pretty good if you ask me.

It may be a long season, but keep watching, you do not want to miss anything.
Now I have to get on the horn with NBATV and ask them why they are not broadcasting games. Cheap bastards.

Chris Paul is a baller. I would pay to see him play.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home