First to Third

A run on sports...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Women's World Cup 2007


Germany won 3-0 over Norway today in the semifinals of the Women's 2007 World Cup and now awaits the winner of tomorrow's matchup between the United States and Brazil (which will air live at 7:55 a.m. ET on ESPN2).

The big news before the semifinal for the U.S. is that coach Greg Ryan will make a goalie change for the game versus Brazil.

Brianna Scurry will start in place of Hope Solo in the goal, but Solo would return back to the starting position if the U.S. reaches the finals. Solo has started each game in the World Cup so far.

Does this make sense? I mean besides the fact that Solo has the sweetest name I have ever heard, why make the change now? In the semifinals, no less. I guess Ryan has not heard the motto, "if it's not broken, don't fix it."

I know Scurry is the veteran and faced Brazil in the 2004 Summer Olympics, but Solo has been money during the whole World Cup tournament. If the U.S. loses this match, then you can look at this change as the reason. Mark my words.

But if they win, and Scurry has a great game, then Ryan is the smart one.

Anyways, Hope Solo is the best name in the business. It is so Star Wars-esque that I think I might give my daughter that name when I have children.

Ryan, the force is strong with her.

(Pictured: Abby Wambach - who will have a goal tomorrow morning)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home