First to Third

A run on sports...

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Emma

I've been lucky enough to have two Grandmother's in my 29 years on this Earth... Not everyone can say that.

A grandma's love is different than your mother or father's - they're more patient ... they have the missing wisdom of your parents ... and no matter what, you can do no wrong in they eyes.

Both of my grandmothers are special women. But there is one in particular that is undeniably the rock of our family. Hell, she's a rock of a city. My grandma Emma has had cancer for 50-plus years. It's eaten at her body over the time and all the while she quietly goes about her life. Loving us grandkids ... loving her children ... loving her life.

She still works to this day (a majority of the days allow her, but she does have to take it easy from time to time).

The cancer has completely taken over one of her legs. I remember growing up I was scared to look at it because I didn't understand. Now, I look at her leg and am proud to be the grandson of this strong angel. I've never heard her complain, never heard her want to give in.

No matter how much she hurt, she'd get up to make me her delicious dishes when I went over. I needed a place to stay? Her door was wide open ... and I wasn't a burden. I was welcomed and treated like royalty.

It's rather humbling to have her in my life. I have no reason to complain, I don't have cancer eating away everywhere it'd like she does.

At the moment, she's in the hospital ... and my visit to see her is the reason for this post.

For the first time in my time in her life I felt she was tired of the pain... tired of dealing with it. Now, I'm not saying that she's giving up. But there was a calm scared/tired/peace over her.

She'll be 80 a month from tomorrow. And I can't wait to see her on her birthday.

Her quiet smile. Her distinctive "hello." Her quiet strength.

Emma. Four letters, stronger than you or I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home